Contact Us

Required Documents for a Student Visa Application

We suggest that you research carefully and prepare all the paperwork exactly as required by the U.S. Embassy when applying for your visa. That way you will not have to come back, face delays or risk being denied.
By GPA Admin

Required Documents for a Student Visa Application

Each applicant for a student visa must submit these forms and documentation as explained below:

  • Form I-20A-B, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students or Form I-20M-N, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students. You will need to submit a SEVIS generated Form, I-20, which was provided to you by your school. You and your school official must sign the I-20 form. See the previous section for SEVIS information.
  • Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160. Visit the DS-160 webpage to learn more about the DS-160 online process. Print and keep the DS-160 barcode page. (You will not need to print the full application.)
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). If more than one person is included in the passport, each person desiring a visa must complete an application.
  • One (1) 2x2 photograph. See the required photo format explained in Photograph Requirements;
  • A receipt to show payment of the visa application fee. Each U.S. Embassy has a different facility to collect the fee, so please check the embassy’s website. For how to pay the fee in Vietnam, click here.
  • The SEVIS I-901 fee receipt (a second fee applicable to student visa application).

All applicants should be prepared to provide:

  • Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended;
  • Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, or GMAT;
  • Financial evidence that shows you or your parents who are sponsoring you has sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study. For example, if you or your sponsor is a salaried employee, please bring income tax documents and original bank statements. If you or your sponsor owns a business, please bring business registration, licenses, etc., and tax documents, as well as original bank statements.

Source: Travel.State.Gov

<< Previous: The Student Visa Application - A Step by Step Guide 

                                                                                                          Next: How to Pay for Visa Fees in Hanoi, Vietnam >>


Ask Golden Path

Latest News & Events

Featured News